Friday, April 16, 2010

4 days later..

The week has gone by pretty quickly.  We have been steadily plugging away with our deployment and it is going well. 

One thing that we did this week was to move Labteh from Hyper-V to a physical server.  The move had nothing to do with performance, it was simply to allow us to *easily* connect a voice modem to the server.  Connecting a serial modem to a Hyper-V host and then having a guest OS access that modem seemed to be more work than it was worth.  I did make a feeble attempt to accomplish this, but using an open source com port emulation program didn't look like a supportable method.  I could see the support call now...

ME: "uh, our voice alerts are not working.  We are getting this odd error"
SUPPORT: "Hmm, sounds like a bad COM port.  Can you try moving it to another COM port?"
ME: "Sure, let me get back to you when I move our server to physical hardware"

So we'll just avoid that possibiliity....

With guidance from one of our crack backup team guys (Phil) I was able to move the server from Hyper-V to a Dell PE1950 in a couple hours.  Actually the "guidance" was in the form of harrasment about the fact that I shouldn't be doing the move and a member of the backup team should be (some days I feel like I am in a Union shop).  That ended with me losing a $5.00 bet to him over how a Broadcom driver would install.

Now that we moved that to physical hardware I will get around to making the voice modem work.

Joe and Jason have been plugging away and now how about 50 servers deployed.  The network probes are returning plenty of information and it looks like we will be able to easily deploy endpoints when we are ready.

We have our first training session on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Our setup runs in an ESX environment so I used an online service that has a LT plugin available to accomplish this. The cost is very minimal and since my stuff is in a data center it was easier than dealing with trying to get a voice circuit run to my racks.

    ReplyDelete