Tuesday, May 4, 2010

SNMP Traps

Now that we have the big rocks out of the way (at least we think we do), we need to concentrate on some of the finer points.  One thing that we always struggled with Kaseya was effective SNMP monitoring and alerting.  In all fairness I think it could have worked better, but it was a real pain and I always seemed to get inconsistent results.  Of course the Kaseya support was completely unable to assist me on this stuff.

I have already done some basics with Labtech and the SNMP functionality, but the one piece that I am anxious to get going is the ability of a Labtech endpoint to act as an SNMP trap receiver.  We have a special application that requires us to be able to receive traps from an SNMP enabled device as opposed to querying OID values and checking them.  This is purely catching the traps as they are sent and processing them.

During my initial discussions with Labtech we discussed this with Gregg Lalle and Bill Morgan.  At first they said "oh, sure no problem monitoring SNMP", I then clarified about the traps and Bill said he had to check on that.  By the end of the conversation Bill had checked with someone and told me that it absolutely could be done.  Nice!

Now I just have to figure it out.  I sent a request to Kevin for help on this, he is probably ready to kill me :-)

DW

No comments:

Post a Comment